It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Shopping
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:13 am 

I have spent some time sending PM's out to get some thought's and idea's about shopping protocol, the in's and out's of it. I have recently found peace and harmony in the lingerie departments, mostly by finding sales ladies which have no problem helping me. Now when I arrive they are all smiles and have actually side stepped, if you will other customers in order to help me. This is a great feeling. I feel like a VIP now, LOL
I however questioned others about their experiences in the woman's apparel department shopping for skirts, dresses, etc. After reading many articles fiction or non-fiction about men changing in the ladies dressing room, whether or not it was appropriate or move on over to the men's dressing room to do so. Consensus has it being best to head to the men's department so not to create a disturbance. I convinced this is the best advice.
My wife and I are going to pick some things out online and then go to the stores to pick them out.
I also brought up the issue of buying shoes. I recently saw a pair of ankle strapped heels that I would really like, what's the verdict on this my friends? Try them on regardless of being seen? Obviously I would need to be measured. Can anyone help with this? I have already had some sound advice but just looking to hear other opinions.
Thanks Alicia

Post subject: Re: Shopping
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 am 

Alicia, Trying on shoes in a store would depend more on your comfort level, I would think. Stores such as Torrid and Long Tall Sallly that carry women's shoes in large sizes are more than used to t-girls, en femme or in male mode, being in their stores and trying on and buying shoes. Payless and Nordstrom also carry large sizes and are know to be trans-friendly. Of course, an SA's attitude often reflects their own personal biases more than a store policy. Happy shopping! Nancy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 am 

Thanks Nancy for your input and suggestions where to go shopping in a buyer friendly environment.

Alicia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:36 am 

The 411 on shoes.
I have only bought women's shoes for the past 6 or 7 years because they fit. I currently have over 42 pairs and at least 30 are high heels. I normally wear 4+ inch heels in every activity, including work, exception is walking on the beach or hiking.
SIZE
Women's size = men's size + 1.5 or 2. Example, size 8 men's is a 9.5 or 10 women's.
Women's shoes come mainly in the 5 - 10 size range. Some are size 11, and fewer size 12. Size 13 and above are hard to find and you are very limited in what is available. At this size and above you are stuck with very few options. I constantly have women (with big feet) ask me where I get my shoes only to be disappointed that I have size 10 feet and I can and do shop everywhere.
here's a link to get started measuring your foot
http://www.shoesizeconversionchart.net/how-to-measure-shoe-size/
SHAPE
The main difference is in shape. men's shoes are more rectangular, with the toe box and heel box being similiar width. Women's shoes are more pear shape, wide toe box/narrow heel. (I have women's shaped feet - men's shoes don't fit.
Shopping
Even though I know my size and buy shoes all the time, there is so much variation in women's shoes and feet that I prefer to try them on in store whenever possible. I only have a 40% success rate with on line. My latest on-line purchase, Steve Madden Gretchen http://www.stevemadden.com/product/GRETCHEN/244397.uts?selectedColor=BLACK-SUEDE
are tight at the toes and I have them in my shoe stretchers. They should stretch out enough so they fit.
Where you shop depends on your shoe size. Because I can, I shop everywhere from small boutiques, to name brand stores (Steve Madden, Nine West, ..) to department stores (Macy's Nordstrom's) to shoe outlets (DSW, Nordstrom's Rack).
PM me if you have any more questions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 am 

This sounds like Cali's shoe school. Crissy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 am 

Just wanted to let everyone know I had a great shopping trip yesterday at the Mall of America. I went to Macy to get some Hanes Silk Reflection pantyhose since they had a sale going on. Also picked up a pair of the Hanes Nudes Style to try. As I was looking around i saw Hue Trouser Socks 3 pair for $ 12. Then I went to the lingerie department and pick out a white Jockey Cami and a pair of Bali panties to try. They are pink with black dots on them. Everything was on sale. Then I walked the mall went into Payless shoes did not find anything in my size. I was on my way out when I walked by the Soma store and just had to stop in. I haven't bought anything in months and the two SA's I used to deal with have left so this was just like my first time in the Store. I found a couple of tank tops and wanted to try them on to see which one fir best. I asked if it was alright to try them on and the SA said of course and showed me into the room. As I was trying on the the tops she came back and asked if I needed any help. I felt very welcomed. I end ed up buying one of the tops even though it was not on sale just because of the way they treated me. It was a great afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 am 

PantiesnHose wrote:
I ended up buying one of the tops even though it was not on sale just because of the way they treated me. It was a great afternoon.

And this is why I just love shopping at Soma!

Self-appointed spokesMAN for Soma
HUG Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:17 pm 

Today was a shopping day.
After an athletic activity this morning, I went to Macy's to pickup some make-up, Clinque Chubby stick in periwinkle. I got a lot of double takes on
Then had lunch and had my manicure done. Acrylics with with gel..6 coats of gel.
Got coffee beans and then visited my favorite shoe boutique. They had mountains of new shoes.
I found three heels I liked. Tried all three on, two were too tight.. Have one I want to try with my socks first
Soda Agenda_H

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:03 am 

I went to a shoe store with a lady friend. It was so much easier with a girl because it did not seem as perveted with her. I tried on many pairs of heels and the attendant didn't care when she came by asking if I needed help. I use the term perverted loosely as a way to express how the attendant might feel. That said, a sale is a sale.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:50 am 

I do not think there is any "correct" protocol for trying things on. I simple ask and leave it up to the store, and respect their choice. I have never had a problem, or been refused. Most of the time I was just directed to the regular ladies changing rooms. Once I was directed to the men's area (in the same store where I had previously been sent to the ladies area) and once asked to come back later when it was not crowded. Some stores just have one central area between the men's and women's area. Dress stores with no men's section just have the one atea, so there is no option, buy I have tried on dresses with no issuses.

I doubt there us any specific law, and if there were it would be different from state to state and country to coutry. I just ask.